Saturday, February 1, 2014

Stop #9: Savor!

 Savor Soup House is an adorable little cart right on the corner of 10th and Alder.  Specializing in homemade soups on a daily rotating menu, they also have an array of grilled cheese sandwiches and regular sandwiches (all on fresh bread) and a few salads.

The young gentleman who greeted me was super sweet and offered to give me a taste of any soup I wanted to try.  But I knew what I wanted - butternut squash and apple bisque?  Are you kidding me right now?  Put it in my mouth!  (Gluten free and vegan, for those who have dietary restrictions.)  They sprinkled a few toasted pepitos (pumkin seeds) on top for some added crunch.

But I couldn't JUST go for soup when there was grilled cheese to try.  I got a cup of soup and half a classic grilled cheese sandwhich, though if I go back I will absolutely be building my own grilled cheese from their ridonculous options.  The menu includes (among other things) manchego, swiss cheese, balsamic reduction, bacon, sliced apple, or (wait for it) carmelized OR pickled onions. (Of course pickled - this is Portland.)

I got back to the office and dug in.  The soup was creamy and delicious with the hint of apple perfectly complimenting the sturdy butternut flavor.  And the sandwhich - oh the sandwhich!  As someone who usually tries to steer clear of the highly fattening, I don't eat a lot of grilled cheese. But this puppy was off the charts - nice and buttery, but with the great crisp of toasted fresh bread and the tang of good Tillamook cheddar.  Indulgence indeed.

Savor Soup House
Cup of Butternut and Apple Bisque with 1/2 a Classic Grilled Cheese:
     $3.00 for the soup, $2.50 for the 1/2 sandwhich  
-Accepts Credit Cards

No comments:

Post a Comment