Saturday, February 15, 2014

Stop #10: Bagels - Gourmet style!

So, I'm Jewish.  And my family is from the East Coast - New Jersey, basically right across the Hudson from Manhattan.  Plus I spent 3 years living in New York - and thus have gone to the infamous H&H Bagels on the Upper West Side and purchased "whatever just came out of the oven."  So basically, I know from bagels.  They must have that slightly hard, almost tight outside, containing the fluffy, doughy inside.  They MUST be boiled or frankly we are just talking about bread with a hole in the middle - not the unique creation that is A Bagel.

So when I arrived at Tastebud Bagel, I was ready to be non-plussed.  I became particularly suspicious when I read that these were "Montreal Style" bagels.  Um, I'm sorry, but since when did Canada know from bagels?

Since always, it seems. After eating lunch I decided to do some research (ie, Wikipedia) into this fascinating new species of bagel.   I am now not at all surprised that I liked these suckers.  Smaller and sweeter than their New York cousins, boiled (natch) and always wood fired (!!) - Montreal has it nailed.

I looked at the menu and was contemplating buying "the standard" (lox, cream cheese, onion and capers) as a barometer of quality (like ordering spaghetti bolognese in order to check the quality of an Italian restaurant.)  But when I asked the gentleman running the truck his opinion, he told me the most popular bagel was the braised lamb.  Ok, definitely not where my mind and stomach had been headed, but I was game.

All of the bagel sandwhiches are served open faced.  The lamb was braised to order and was topped with pickled peppers, cabbages and a touch of mayo.  Oy! So much joy in my mouth!   The lamb was tender and flavorful, the peppers tart with just a hint of spiciness, and the cabbage crunchy with a sprinkling of caraway seeds to add another layer of flavor.

Who knew?  Bagels in Portland I did not expect to love.  But there you go.

Tastebud Bagels:
Poppyseed Bagel with Braised Lamb, Peppers, Cabbage and Mayo: $8.00 (+tip)
-Accepts Credit Cards

***Be warned that this is a messy eat.  Order when you can sit down to consume it.***

1 comment: