Saturday, March 1, 2014

Stop #12: Mediterranean Delciousness in a Pita

Ugarit Mediterranean meals turned into yet another fun and unique food truck experience.  The owner, Mohammed saw me taking a peak at the menu and, with the confidence of a practiced salesman, asked if I liked tomato soup.  When I replied in the affirmative, he said that he had been making tomato soup, very fresh, and asked would I try it and give him my opinion.  When I said yes, he clarified "And you will tell me the truth?"  I assured him, yes of course I would.

Like any smart foodie, he knew darn well that his tomato soup was fantastic.  Somewhere between smooth and chunky, it had a robust texture, extrememly fresh flavor, subtly spiced and with bits of parsley sprinkled on top.  It was fantastic.

Then I asked what he recommended.  He asked if I wanted something with meat or without.  I asked for meat - he proceeded to describe, in quite mouth watering detail, the way he grinded, grilled and marinated each meat that he offers.  I went with chicken - but didn't specify how or with what I wanted it.  He went to work, asking if I liked hot sauce and pulling out a sriracha bottle.  He then clarified for me that of course he made his own hot sauce - he had just made a huge batch that morning - and he kept it in sriracha bottles.  This was his sauce, just to be clear.

A few minutes later I was presented with a chicken gyro with hummus, taziki and cucumbers, wrapped in a warm pita.  The chicken was moist and very tender, the taziki was delicious, as was the infamous hot sauce.  The hummus was a little bland for my taste, but it added a nice creaminess to the overall effect.

Once he had handed me my lunch, Mohammed asked if this was my first visit to his truck and then gave me a complimentary cup of soup when I said yes.  He insisted that I take a punch card and that when I come back next time, I must try the lamb.  I quote "Nobody makes my lamb.  No one anywhere."

I believe him.

Ugarit Mediterranean Meals: (Watch the news clip from August 2010 to see Mohammed's priceless reaction to Portland being named the #1 place in the world for food carts.)
Chicken Gyro: $6.50 (+tip!)
-Cash Only

No comments:

Post a Comment